Mission of Ursuline Academy
Ursuline Academy is an independent Catholic school for young women that provides a college preparatory education rooted in the traditions and values of St. Angela Merici:
- Excellence in education
- Respect for the uniqueness of the individual
- Development of the whole person
- Community and family spirit
- Cultivation of leadership qualities
- Willingness to serve others, as embodied in its motto, Serviam: "I will serve."
St. Angela Merici, founder of the Order of St. Ursula, sought to educate the whole person. Her goal was to inspire young women to grow in faith, explore their academic potential, lead with confidence and help those in need. Today, this holistic approach to academics is thriving at Ursuline Academy, where young women are appreciated for their unique talents.
To promote, in an integrated manner, each young woman's personal, intellectual, spiritual, moral, physical and social growth, Ursuline Academy seeks to provide:
- A caring community that nurtures the student's personal gifts and contributes to a sense of self-worth and a strengthening of character;
- A liberal arts curriculum that first, incorporates the best of tradition and the feasible aspects of progress; and second equips the Ursuline student intellectually and practically to pursue higher education and to respond confidently to the challenges that lie ahead for the 21st century;
- A formal theology program and varied experiences of prayer upon which the student may build a developing relationship with God;
- Guidance and resources necessary to lead the student to adopt high ethical standards, make correct moral judgments, and live with integrity, inner harmony, and authenticity;
- A physical education program that teaches the importance of maintaining physical health, contributes toward self-discipline, and establishes a pattern for a healthy lifestyle; and
- Opportunities for nurturing a young woman's aspirations for leadership, for recognizing her social responsibility in today's world, and for serving the needs of others.
The Serviam Shield
The Serviam Shield is the emblem of loyalty known by Ursuline students throughout the world. The seven stars, representing Ursa Minor, are a reminder of our patroness, Saint Ursula. The stars tell us of the heights to which our ideals must soar. The cross stands for Faith, the foundation of all Christian action.
The Serviam Motto
Serviam is the motto of all the Ursuline Schools worldwide. The word Serviam, "I will serve," is symbolized by the virtue of devotedness. Ursuline students are taught to learn how to forget self in order to think of others. Service to family, parish, and local community are signs of Serviam. The word includes in its meaning self sacrifice and world-embracing charity.
The Serviam Service Program
In keeping with Ursuline's motto Serviam and the Christian call to reach out to help others, each student is required to perform some type of community service in an area relating to her abilities and interests. Students in grades 7, 8 and 9 must offer 30 hours of service a year. Students in grades 10, 11 and 12 are required to offer 40 hours of service a year. Seniors spend an additional three weeks of independent study in community service. Ursuline's service program provides thousands of hours each year to those in need.
Ursuline Educational Services
Ursuline Academy is a member of Ursuline Educational Services (UES), a collaborative effort of Ursuline congregations to carry their educational tradition into the future. In the spirit of St. Angela Merici, the organization fosters education based on Gospel values and promotes the preservation and development of the Ursuline charism and mission in Ursuline-sponsored settings.