St. Angela Merici, foundress of the Order of St. Ursula, sought to educate the whole person. Her goal was to inspire young women to grow in faith, explore their academic potential, lead with confidence and help those in need. Today, this approach to academics is thriving at Ursuline Academy, where each young woman is appreciated for her existing talents, and encouraged to bring her hidden talents to the forefront.
Ursuline Academy is an independent Catholic school that educates young women for a life that reaches toward the Light and the Good.
The seven stars on our shield represent our guiding values:
1. Soul: We base our identity in the writings of our foundress, St. Angela Merici, in the Ursuline tradition, and in our connections with the global Ursuline community.
2. Scholarship: We emphasize the dual values of academic achievement and intellectual curiosity for its own sake.
3. Spirituality: We gather for prayer, liturgies, and retreats to direct ourselves toward the goodness of God.
4. Sharing our Light: We sing, dance, write, play, paint and program, always celebrating our diverse backgrounds and gifts.
5. Sportsmanship: We compete enthusiastically and conscientiously, and to give glory to God alone (Soli Deo Gloria).
6. Solidarity: We are a welcoming community that fosters respect for every human being and for all of God’s creation.
7. Serviam: We seek to be a generous people who live the motto, “I will serve.”
To promote, in an integrated manner, each young woman's personal, intellectual, spiritual, moral, physical and social growth, Ursuline Academy seeks to provide:
- A caring community that nurtures the student's personal gifts and contributes to a sense of self-worth and a strengthening of character;
- A liberal arts curriculum that first, incorporates the best of tradition and the feasible aspects of progress; and second equips the Ursuline student intellectually and practically to pursue higher education and to respond confidently to the challenges that lie ahead for the 21st century;
- A formal theology program and varied experiences of prayer upon which the student may build a developing relationship with God;
- Guidance and resources necessary to lead the student to adopt high ethical standards, make correct moral judgments, and live with integrity, inner harmony, and authenticity; and
- Opportunities for nurturing a young woman's aspirations for leadership, for recognizing her social responsibility in today's world, and for serving the needs of others.
Ursuline Academy fosters global citizenship by being a community that represents, explores, and honors a diverse mix of experience and expression. Multicultural education and practice is the responsibility and privilege of every member of the Ursuline community. Ursuline actively seeks faculty, families, and leadership who embrace and practice skills that reflect our core values of excellence, respect for the uniqueness of the individual, community and family, cultivation of leadership qualities, and the willingness to serve others.