On Sunday, June 2, the sixty-eight members of the Class of 2019 graduated from Ursuline Academy, processing down the stairs of the Ursuline Convent in traditional white gowns and carrying a bouquet of roses. Just prior to the ceremony, the graduates assembled for a formal photo on the same stairs, flanked by magnificent rhododendron shrubs in full bloom. Family and friends eagerly took the opportunity to take their own photographs of the iconic moment.
We extend our thanks to alumna Dr. Jennifer Baima, M.D. '93, for returning to deliver the keynote address. Dr. Baima is an Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The valedictory address was delivered by Molly Treseler of West Roxbury and the salutatory address was delivered by Lauren Grela of Weston.
All of the graduates are to be commended for successfully completing Ursuline Academy's challenging academic curriculum and for being accepted to some of the nation's finest colleges and universities. The full list of colleges is available here.
Congratulations to the following students who received awards at the ceremony:
- Marie Kimball, Serviam Award - The Serviam Award is a great honor in Ursuline schools worldwide and seeks to reward outstanding traits of leadership in service, awareness of others, acceptance of responsibility and academic achievement.
- Molly McDonald, Sister Mercedes Videira Medal - Established in 2009, this special award is presented to a student who best embodies the qualities of an Ursuline woman as embodied by Sister Mercedes herself: integrity, humility, generosity, and concern for others, coupled with a deep love for the Academy.
- Kaleigh Wyers, Principal's Award - This award is given in recognition of a student's extraordinary leadership on behalf of the academy and her willingness to serve others.
Additional awards for academics and service were conferred at the Baccalaureate Mass on Saturday, June 1. The students receiving awards are:
- English Prize - Chloe Byrne
- French Prize - Annelise Perry
- Latin Prize - Natalie McGrail
- Spanish Prize - Christina Crognale
- History Prize - Molly Treseler
- Mathematics Prize - Shannon Butler
- Theology Prize - Marie Kimball
- Science Award - Avita Abi-Elias
- Performing Arts Award - Diana Lynch
- Visual Arts Award - Lauren Grela
- National Merit Scholarship Program: Commended Student - Samantha Maggio, Finalist - Molly Treseler
- Cardinal Medeiros Scholarship (Boston University) - Marie Kimball
- Cheryl Jean Eakin Scholarship, given to a graduating senior who exhibits the qualities of leadership, a willingness to serve others, and a dedication to the "common good" - Catherine McCusker
- Campus Ministry Service Awards, in recognition of unique dedication to Ursuline Campus Ministry and its service programs - Taylor Bourikas, Bridget Dwyer, Jeanna Gailius, Caroline Moore, Giovanna Ragusa and Hannah Woodworth
- Ursuline Education Network Spirit of St. Angela Award - Kaleigh Wyers
- Ursuline Education Network Scholar-Athlete Award - Lauren Grela
Highlights of the ceremony can be viewed on YouTube.